PROFILE: MEREDITH MARTINArtist Statement:
"I have lived more than 6 decades without war, violence, or fear haunting my personal doorstep. I am disheartened by the vast numbers of earth’s people who have never known this kind of freedom, where one can view the world as a complex, mysterious, and stunningly beautiful place. I am really happy to have my link on this planet's fragile chain of life ‐ in the place and time I live. I honestly treasure life’s endless colors, shapes and textures and from the exalted to the mundane, I want to pin it down in my work, share it and hold on to the joy this brings to me. For me, painting is a prayer and a thank‐you note rolled into one."
Meredith is a fine arts graduate of Otterbein University, and, after a number of years in an education-related career journey, became a full time artist in 1996. Having majored in art, studied Pre-Columbian art and architecture in Mexico and New Mexico, Meredith's work is influenced by the strong design and color of these cultural areas. She works primarily in pastel, but explores other mediums and is intensely committed to drawing and design. For over 7 years, Meredith presented work depicting the wildlife of our nation’s parks and natural places. She traveled throughout the West and much of her work reflects this interest.
Ms. Martin has shown and sold work in juried exhibits throughout major cities in the United States, including St. Louis, Atlanta, Providence, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Lansing, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Akron, and in her home town of Columbus, OH. Her work is now in several hundred collections throughout Ohio and the U.S.
In 2003 Meredith opened her own studio and gallery, now located in Alexandria, Ohio. Started with 6 other artist friends, Sunbear Studios and Gallery now shows the original work of over 40 Ohio artists. Meredith teaches pastels and drawing at Sunbear, holds 7 to 8 events a year featuring new artists and professional art organizations, and her original work can be seen in her studio at this location. See: www.sunbearstudio.com.
Awards and honors:
- Featured Artist: Atlanta Spirit of America Native American and Wildlife Art Festival; 1999, 2000; Atlanta, GA
- Best of Show: Fine Art of the Portrait, High Road Gallery, Worthington, OH 2005
- Featured Artist: Columbus Capital Club Art Show and Auction, 2002; Columbus, OH
- Best of Show: Landscapes: High Road Gallery, Worthington, OH, 2013
- Best of Show: Ohio Pastel Artists League, Alexandria, OH 2016
- First Place: Akron Arts Expo, Akron, OH 2002
- Featured Artist: Lodge at Chalk Hill, Uniontown, PA
- Featured Artist, Richardson Printing Co., Fine Arts Calendar, Marietta, OH, 2002
- Purchase Award, John A Logan College Museum and Gallery; Carterville, IL, 1999
- Purchase Award, Westerville Fine Arts Festival, Westerville, OH, 2001
- Third Place, Crooked River Arts, Akron, OH, 2000
- LaFond Gallery, Eighth Annual National Juried Pastel Exhibition, Pittsburgh, PA, 2002
- El Museo Gallery, “Altars/Day of the Dead Exhibition”, Buffalo, New York, 2005
- Bosque Del Apache National Wildlife Exhibition, Socorro, New Mexico, 1999 through 2001
- Historic Shaw Art Festival, St. Louis, MO
- Celebration of Nature, Roger Tory Peterson Institute, Jamestown, New York, 2002
- “Postcards from the West” Solo Show, Leveque Tower, Columbus, OH, 2002
Classes / Workshops
We still have openings available for some of our classes , but we are filling up fast!
Two new paintings of Meredith's to see at the Fresh Paint page.